Did you know that Florida ranks #2 in the nation for the highest rate of deadly skin cancer? While we enjoy the benefits of year-round sunshine, unfortunately, UV radiation from the sun is the most common cause of skin cancer. Here are a few tips to make sure you are protected:
- Daily use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen of SPF30 or higher
- Seek the shade especially between 10 AM and 4 PM
- Avoid the use of tanning beds
- Use sun-protective clothing when possible
- Examine your skin monthly for any new spots
- Have a professional skin exam once a year
If you have a personal or family history of skin cancer, our providers may recommend you come more often for your full body skin examination. Our goal is to make sure we keep you and your skin healthy. The visit is usually brief and if there are any spots of concern, your provider will take a biopsy which is a quick in-office procedure.
Here are some tips to prepare for your visit:
- Take some time before your appointment to review your skin. Are there any new spots or moles that have changed? Point out these areas to your provider at your visit.
- Your visit will include an examination of your skin, hair, and nails. Please remove all nail polish and if you can try to come free of any makeup.
- Don’t be nervous. Your skin is your body’s largest organ! So you will be examined from head to toe. However, you will be mostly covered with an exam gown during your visit. Since early detection of skin cancer is the key to successful treatment, a thorough exam is critical.
To schedule your exam with one of our expert providers, please call 305-417-6377 and our concierge team will assist with scheduling your appointment.